Monday, December 17, 2012

Rain, Future Fins, and Surf Log Excel Spreadsheets

It's been raining a lot, and there's been not much swell lately, both of which suck.  It's means "it is" or "it has," while its is the possessive.  I keep forgetting that or switching them around.

So, I got some new Future Solus fins, a thruster set.  They look pretty awesome with their carbon fiber bases that lead into a material called texallium, and then into fiberglass.  They are really foily all over the place, and seem really high tech and cool.  The center fin is hatchet shaped, and the tip is really thick and weird, just how Sonny likes his tips.  I got suckered into buying these ultra-expensive fins because they offered me 20% off...  Right now I'm excited about trying them out, but at the same time I feel like a poser because I spent so much on fins, when I should just improve my surfing instead.  But I'm going to ignore that for now and concentrate on remaining stoked.  Peter also got a set of fins, Rasta Quads!

BEFORE: 5F as a quad.


AFTER: 5F as a thruster, with Peter's foot dance.

Peter's brand spanking new CI Weirdo Ripper with Rasta Quads.



I noticed a few tiny flaws on the fins though.  There are little scratches or bubbles in the right fin's trailing edge.  And the center fin's texallium weave has a damaged spot.  I really doubt either of these issues are issues at all, but since I paid so much, I expected perfection.  I contacted Future Fins, and let them know what's up, and emailed them pictures.  They immediately responded by offering to replace the fins for me!  So that's cool, so far I've found the surf industry to be really good about doing stuff like that (them and Ripcurl, with their loaner wetsuit exchange program and such).  So I'll be going into the Futures HQ manana am to swap.  I'm going to pitch my idea of signature Chris Hu fins too (block off plates for the fins boxes with no fins in them for all the new boards with 5 boxes... there's gotta be some drag there right?).



 In other news, I created a surf log sheet in Excel that I'm kind of proud of.  It's not very complex, but it was fun doing it during work, rather than doing work.  I was inspired because I was sick of Surfline's inaccurate conditions assessments.  So, I tried to include the basic elements that affect the surf: swell height, period, and direction, wind speed and direction, tide in, tide out, break, comments, and rating.  The parts of the sheets I was particularly happy about is the addition of the drop down menus for the Ratings column, with color-coordination!





2 comments:

  1. wow, that is a pretty gnarly spreadsheet. the nerd in me loves it! and love them sexy fins too!! yew!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks KK. I'll email that sheet to you if you want to use it, or feel free to improve it!

      Delete